Can you really light farts on fire? We’re talking all things flatulence, including is it dangerous to light farts on fire , fart health facts, funny fart facts book, why do we fart explained for kids, and science of fart (what creates a fart) for kids science lessons and STEM learning!
Can you actually light your farts on fire?
Is it possible to light your farts on fire?
Technically, due to the small amount of methane and other flammable gases (like hydrogen) that are released during farting emissions, you can light your farts on fire. This is known as fart lighting, or pyroflatulence, and is very dangerous to try. The small amount of flammable gas released isn’t enough to sustain a flame.
DISCLAIMER: Lighting farts on fire dangerous. DO NOT TRY TO LIGHT YOUR OWN FARTS ON FIRE.
(Yes, you can can you die from lighting your farts on fire attempts creating full fire accidents and there are documented
fart lighting injuries.)
Want to listen to the FLAMING FARTS OR A BUNCH OF HOT AIR Parent Busters podcast episode?
See the can you light your farts on fire lessons and learning about farts / fart science below! Keep scrolling!
What happens if you fart in front of a fire?
A fart (flatus) contains a mix of gases that are known to be flammable. However, they can be in such small amounts that innocently farting around a fireplace or open fire (like a campfire) is probably not dangerous. If you’re worried is human fart flammable, you’re probably OK farting near a fire while camping or having s’mores (although the people around you may not appreciate it).
Why do we fart?
There are many reasons why people fart, but one of the most common reasons is because of the air that we swallow. When we eat or drink, we take in air along with our food or drink. This air travels down into our stomachs, and when it mixes with the food and drinks there, it creates gas. The gas has to go somewhere, so it comes out of our bodies as belches (burping) and as farts.
Another reason why we fart is because of the bacteria in our intestines. These bacteria help us to digest food, but they also create gas.
And finally, some people fart because of what they eat. When people eat quickly (swallowing more air) or when they eat foods that are difficult to digest (like dairy for some people or even greasy foods), they can create more gas.
So why do we fart?
There are actually lots of reasons! But one of the most common reason is because of the air that we swallow and what we eat and drink.
DISCLAIMER: DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME! PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED PLAYING AROUND WITH THIS.
Why do people say you can light farts on fire?
According to science, you can light farts on fire because of the small amount of methane gas that is released and mixed with other types of gases. When this gas comes in contact with a spark, it will ignite and create a flame.
While this may seem like a silly party trick, there are some important reasons why you should not try to light your own farts on fire:
- The small amount of methane mixed with other gases from a fart probably isn’t enough for you to sustain a fire, and
- Putting a flame near your butt (or any part of your body) is incredibly dangerous. Thousands of people are killed or injured each year in careless fires. DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME.
Fart Lessons and Fart Activities for Kids
- Watch the video Why Do We Fart?
- Learn more about methane (and even how the chemical compound of methane looks as a model!)
- Do a Does Farting Make You Weigh Less? science experiment
- Get a digestive system lesson plan
- Read The Science Behind Farting
- Do a Gassy Eggs science project
- See a world heat map of the methane emitted from cow “farts”… you’re welcome 🙂
- Learn the Beans Beans Musical Fruit song
- Review fire statistics with your kids and do a series of fire prevention lessons
- Play Pass The Gas
- Play Fart and Go Seek (complete with farting beans!)
- Get a Find The Farter seek and find book
- Watch No One Likes A Fart read aloud video